My intended audience is middle aged
teachers and parents that believe that their children and students are being corrupted
by this new age technology. I composed my argument knowing that this is a real
issue that many parents and teachers deal with on a daily basis. I used research
that I thought would be compelling to that audience. I knew that writing this
as a 20-year-old would automatically make people think that I was advocating
for cell-phones and their many pros. While I do believe that there are many
pros, I also am able to recognize that there is an issue. To address this, I
talk about my own experiences that explain that I do see the issue.
When
I first started this project I was going in a different direction. I was going
to discuss the generational difference and how that plays into the idea that
people of older generations think technology is bad. I found this difficult because
I realized that the statistics were hard to counter. There is clear evidence
that cell-phones have created an addiction but it was hard to argue that older
generations hate all technology. Most likely because it is not true. While I
still am able to get my point across that older generations believe
that technology should just be taken away, I could not
make the argument that older generations hate all technology.
I
drew the most form our discussion in class, of using personal experiences to
make an argument. Being of the generation that has been accused the most of
being addicted to technology, this was not difficult. What was difficult was
being able to not just tell a story but make an argument at the same time. The
piece that was the most helpful was Nikole Hannah-Jones’, “Choosing a School in
a Segregated City.” This piece is able to argue sending your child to a public
school, even if it is not the best academically because it will be more useful
for your student to be exposed to an array of cultures, than to be the best at
test taking. While the author makes this argument, she uses her own experience of
picking a school for her daughter to attend. I tried to have a similar mix of
storytelling, statistics and argument making as Nikole Hannah-Jones did.
Comments
Post a Comment